SAFETY PROCEDURE FOR MANTRAP RESCUE OPERATION
CONDUCTED BY AUTHORIZED PERSON
This operation shall be carried out by AUTHORIZED PERSONS only. Any accident or damage resulted from carrying out such an operation by unauthorized persons shall not be the owner’s or contractor’s responsibility.
An AUTHORIZED PERSON means that he has been trained by lift supplier and his name and his identity card may be required to be registered to the local authority having jurisdiction on the legal operation of the elevator concerned.
1. The AUTHORIZED PERSON should communicate with the person or persons who are trapped inside the lift car. Find out how many persons are inside and instruct them to remain calm and stay away from the car door.
2. Turn off the electric supply at the main switchboard in the machine room to the elevator where the persons are trapped inside the elevator car. (there are two common type of main switch board shown as below)
3. In example case above, lift No. 2 is the lift that has broken down. Turn off the isolator/switchboard for lift No. 2 only.
4. Proceed with the rescue operation by opening the landing door with the landing door key at the floor where elevator cage has stopped.
5. If the elevator car is located at a level of more than ± 600mm to the nearest landing floor, then don’t release the passenger. Rescue works should be carried out by a lift technician as there is the danger that such rescue works may result in the risk of a fatal accident of the trapped passengers falling back into the lift shaft. If the elevator car is not level to safely bring the passengers out then sometimes it is advised to open the door approximately only about 200mm to allow fresh air or light into lift car to make the passengers feel more comfortable while waiting for the lift technician to arrive. The lift technician is trained to manually bring the lift to the nearest landing floor level by slowly releasing the brake at the traction machine in the lift motor room. [NOTE: THIS IS OPERATION MUST ONLY BE DONE BY TRAINED LIFT TECHNICIAN]
Note: If the elevator car is located at a level of more than ± 600mm to the nearest landing floor, don’t release the passenger. Rescue works should be carried out by lift technician.
Lift at level position Lift level is within ± 600mm
SOMETIMES A FATAL ACCIDENT CAN OCCUR WHEN PASSENGERS CAME OUT BY THEMSELVES AND FALL BACK INTO LIFT SHAFT